Autumn, "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness..", or
Fall, when leaves fall down. Autumn has inspired poets for centuries
and provides a great chance for some creative writing.
On the floor set out a route/ road for Roamer to take, as if going
for a walk. Along the route place items such as Conkers, leaves, pictures
of a lake, birds migrating etc. Then the children should:
- Dress Roamer suitably for an Autumn walk.
- Program Roamer to take her walk.
- Discuss what Roamer will see, smell, hear on her walk. (Obviously
the conkers represent chestnut trees etc.)
- Write a description of the Roamer walk in two different ways:
- purely giving directions - eg. Go forward until you reach the
Chestnut trees, then take a right had turn and carry on until
you can see the lake
- a descriptive piece - eg. Wrapped up warmly and wearing her
Wellingtons, Roamer was able to jump in all the puddles as she
followed the path through the Chestnut wood
- Draw a picture of the walk.
- Write a poem about the walk.
This is a nice self-contained unit that will fit in well with all the
other project work that you will be doing on Autumn. It could be set
up after a walk that the children take, placing items they have collected
from their walk along Roamer's path. Or perhaps built up over time as
children bring autumnal items in.
As always, we would love to see photos of your pupils covering this
topic. Or if you have any suggestions for future topic please contact
us on email@example.com